MY SHOP: WWW.STUDIO11CHARMS.COM

Sunday, July 3, 2011

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW & FEATURED SHOP: THE OTHER LOFT


1. Who or What inspired you to start a business?
It was actually by chance that I found out the joys of making jewelry! I was attending a 2 hour jewelry workshop with my girl pal and everything just fell into place!

2. How did you get started?

I had never meant to sell jewelries I made. But as my collection grew, I decided to try my luck on the now defunct Yahoo auction room. As soon as I felt there was more opportunity to sell my creations, I created a web page!

3. What tip or advice can you give someone starting out who wants to follow in your footsteps?

I feel that apart from having the passion and perseverance, knowing what you want out of life will be essential to anyone taking that leap of faith. Give yourself a time frame to try out something new. You'll never know what can be in store for you.

4. What inspires you everyday? Where do you find your inspiration?

Colors! I love colors! My inspiration can be from my wardrobe or by pure imagination of what I want to create.

5. Who are your role models and why?
There are many crafters I've come across who do exceptional crafting and deserves to be admired. However, I'm not sure if its a good or bad thing to have a role model as I've never particularly followed a style. So yeah, I guess I don't have one.

6. How do you find a balance for running your business in your busy schedule? What does your daily schedule looks like? (give us an example of a typical day in your shoes).

I'm a stay home mom. My priorities are my children - so I do a lot of chauffeuring to school and extra classes. In between chores, I'd find time to let my creative juices flow and also cook dinner for the family. I'm always in touch with my online shops and customers no matter how busy my schedule is because when you have a smart phone, there's no excuse not to!

7. I noticed that you were featured in a Seventeen issue. Can you tell us about that experience. How did they pick you. How did you find out that you were picked? And how has that changed your business/life?

Yes! My etsy shop was chanced upon by the fashion editor for October 2010 Singapore issue. They were scouring for fashion blog shops and I happen to fit the bill since my clay jewelries scream youthfulness! So I was contacted and many of my handmade items were sent to their office for a photo shoot. This was something very unexpected because I always thought you'd need to pull some strings to get noticed by a magazine!

I may also like to add that I was also nominated and awarded for being part of "100 Inspirational Women" during International Women's Day this year by Cozycot.com - a fashion and beauty portal based in Singapore. And just 2 weeks ago, Cozycot.com launched their maiden magazine and featured what I do in a full page photo shoot. It has been a truly humbling and exciting experience.


8. Where do you see yourself in the next 5 to 10 years?

I have not seen myself so far ahead! I'm happy to enjoy what I do on a day to day basis and hope to keep learning in my journey for many more years to come.

9. Can you give us some word of wisdom for success? What are your biggest business triumphs, success, and mistakes? Have you ever made a business decision in the past that was a mistake? What are some of the BEST business decisions that you have made?

Believe in yourself. It is important not to give up what you enjoy doing because that's your passion. No one can take your passion away from you!

My biggest success would be in 2009 when I created a blog to sell my handmade polymer clay beads. There had been a huge demand from local crafters, wanting to own exclusive beads that I made in small quantity and 95% of the beads I put up for sale twice weekly, were sold almost instantly. I regretted though, that I should have made more to cater to the many I had to turn down when the beads they liked were sold. In return though, I got to connect with many crafters who share what I love to do. After the trend to own polymer clay beads died down, I closed the blog and accepted customized orders instead. I still have orders for clay beads till today which I think is better for me now that I can focus on my jewelry making.

10. Do you have a picture of your design space? And/ or do you have a picture of your "dream" design space

I have a photo of myself here sitting by my dining table - that's where I do my craft. The cupboard behind me stores my treasured beads!


I've never had a dedicated to what I love to do so if I ever have a room for myself, I would like it to look like this!


Here are more examples of jewelry designs and work done by Adeline at The Other Loft.





Adeline's Loft - http://ade-loft.blogspot.com
The Other Loft - http://theotherloft.blogspot.com
Etsy shop - http://theotherloft.etsy.com
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/adelines.loft

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...